My guest this week is Matthew Syed. Matthew was formerly the British table tennis number one and is now a journalist the best selling author of books such as “Bounce” and “Black Box Thinking”.
Matthew’s new book, “Rebel Ideas” has just been published. In the book, he explores a topic that we’ve looked at a few times on the show, the importance of diverse thinking in teams and organizations.
In the interview, we discuss:
- When and why diversity matters and how it contributes to success
- Diversity of background, perspective, and thinking
- Rebel ideas that challenge, cross pollenate, diverge and augment.
- An example of the CIA being individually perceptive but collectively blind
- The danger of assimilation to the dominant assumptions of a business.
Matthew also shares his advice for recruiters and suggest ways we can all have more rebel ideas